Digital repository of Slovenian research organisations

Show document
A+ | A- | Help | SLO | ENG

Title:O avtorstvu in provenienci velikega oltarja iz podružnične cerkve sv. Jožefa nad Preserjem
Authors:ID Oražem, Frančiška (Author)
Files:.pdf PDF - Presentation file, download (1,17 MB)
MD5: D9FC1D0F75FB8D3755906CCCB22C2E89
 
Language:Slovenian
Typology:1.01 - Original Scientific Article
Organization:Logo SUZD - Slovenian Association of Art Historians
Keywords:umetnostna zgodovina, kiparske delavnice, 17.st., Sv. Jožef nad Preserjem
Publication status:Published
Publication version:Version of Record
Submitted for review:05.04.2024
Article acceptance date:21.06.2025
Publication date:30.12.2025
Year of publishing:2024 - 2025
Number of pages:str. 133-156
Numbering:60/61
PID:20.500.12556/DiRROS-32049 New window
UDC:730.034.7(497.4Preserje)"16"
ISSN on article:2536-3964
COBISS.SI-ID:273869315 New window
Note:Nasl. z nasl. zaslona; Opis vira z dne 1. 4. 2026;
Publication date in DiRROS:25.08.2026
Views:26
Downloads:12
Metadata:XML DC-XML DC-RDF
:
Copy citation
  
Share:Bookmark and Share


Hover the mouse pointer over a document title to show the abstract or click on the title to get all document metadata.

Record is a part of a journal

Title:Zbornik za umetnostno zgodovino
Publisher:Slovensko umetnostnozgodovinsko društvo
ISSN:2536-3964
COBISS.SI-ID:295297792 New window

Secondary language

Language:English
Title:O avtorstvu in provenienci velikega oltarja iz podružnične cerkve svetega Jožefa nad Preserjem
Abstract:The Church of St. Joseph above Preserje was noted for being the first church in Slovenia designed based on an elongated octagon, marking a significant architectural evolution from the Slovenian ecclesiastical structures of the 17th and 18th centuries. However, the history of its wooden altar has not yet been thoroughly examined in art historical research. St. Joseph’s Church, a subsidiary of the Preserje parish, was under the patronage of the Carthusian monastery in Bistra from the late 14th century until the mid-18th century. The church’s construction was completed by 1659, with its dedication taking place in 1671. While the church has maintained its exterior form throughout history, its interior has undergone significant changes, particularly in the arrangement of its altars. Discussions about the transfer of altar pieces from St. Joseph’s to the parish church of St. Vitus reveal a complex history. It was initially believed that the main altar of St. Vitus came from St. Joseph’s. However, further research clarified that only one or both side altars, likely from the dissolved Carthusian monastery, were moved first to St. Joseph’s and then to St. Vitus in 1830. An analysis of historical records from the visitation reports by Bishop Anton Alojzij Wolf indicated that the main marble altar of St. Vitus was consecrated in 1830 and indeed sourced from St. Joseph’s Church, but it was not the main altar as until recently believed. It was probably a side altar from St. Joseph’s Church, and at the same time, a new wooden altar was placed as the main altar in this church. Despite these clarifications, questions about the size and origin of the main altar of St. Joseph remain. A stylistic comparison links the wooden altar from St. Joseph’s Church to the altar architecture in the Church of the Assumption of Mary in Nova Štifta near Ribnica, suggesting a similar design featuring twisted columns entwined with vine motifs. Fe similarities in ornamentation and architectural elements suggest that the altars were crafted around the same period, between 1670 and 1690. Historical data about the construction of the Nova Štifta Church indicates a prolonged and complex building process, with significant contributions from local patrons and clergy members. Fe stylistic and ornamental features of the sculptures from the altars show possible attribution to sculptor Avguštin Ferfilla from Ljubljana or his workshop. Further comparisons with other works attributed to the Ferfilla workshop reveal consistent stylistic traits in the sculpture and ornamentation. This connection is crucial in understanding the provenance of St. Joseph’s altar, suggesting it might have been one of the last works by Avguštin Ferfilla or his workshop. The presence of similar stylistic features in other regional altars supports this attribution. The potential origin of St. Joseph’s altar from Nova Štifta’s St. Joseph Chapel aligns with historical mentions of an altar dedicated to St. Joseph that disappeared around the same time as the new altar in St. Joseph’s Church above Preserje appeared. Economic difficulties in Nova Štifta and changes in chapel use could have led to the altar’s relocation to Preserje. Another potential location could be St. Joseph’s Chapel in the Carthusian monastery in Bistra. In conclusion, the detailed examination of historical records, stylistic analysis, and comparative study with regional altars highlight the complex provenance of the wooden altar at St. Joseph’s above Preserje. These findings advance our understanding of the artistic and cultural exchanges in 17th-century Slovenian ecclesiastical art and underscore the need for further research to resolve remaining questions about the altar’s origin and history.
Keywords:art history, sculpture workshops, 17th cent., Church of St Joseph, Preserje


Collection

This document is a part of these collections:
  1. Zbornik za umetnostno zgodovino

Back